To celebrate the completion of my winter coursework, i spent the day yesterday baking cake!
I went with a Lemon and Poppyseed Loaf, both at the request of my boyfriend and because its the first cake i ever baked alone and i love the recipe. Its also perfect with a cup of tea and a book which is how i spent my evening.
I’ve long forgotten where i got the recipe from but it is a perfect recipe for me, with a long slow bake to allow me to get other stuff done; i submitted other uni work whilst doing laundry as my cake baked.
Lemon and Poppy Seed Loaf
- 175g Butter
- 175g Caster Sugar
- 2 Large Lemons
- 3 Medium Eggs
- 250g Self Raising Flour
- 50g Poppy Seeds
- 4 tbsp natural yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 150°c and completely grease your loaf tin.
- Beat butter until light and creamy before adding sugar and beating until almost white.
- Whisk in eggs and the zest of both lemons, one by one. With the last egg also add a spoonful of flour.
- Fold in the remaining flour, poppyseed and yogurt.
- Bake for 1hr 10mins before removing and leaving to cool for ten minutes in tin.
- Turn out of tin, poke small holes all over cake and add the juice of one lemon.
- OPTIONAL – I like a crunchy topping on my loaf cake so take the juice of the second lemon and add icing sugar to create a simple water icing, i then pour this all over my cake whilst on a baking rack to run off.